Another Metroid 2 Remake version 1.4.3
June 15, 2019
metroid • video games • am2r
It has been almost 3 years since I first reviewed AM2R. While Nintendo wasted no time hitting the developer with a cease and desist, the game was already out on the internet where it remains available to this day. Some very dedicated fans have managed to reverse engineer the game and add even more polish and features to AM2R.
Having recently beaten the game, it is every bit as fun as I remember the unofficial Metroid outting to be. I finished it just under 4 hours and with a 95% item completion. Depending on where you get the latest version, you can get it with the higher quality music or seperate as part of an extras package. The higher quality music is highly recommended as the better bass made the experience even better.
So what are the changes from version 1.1 (the last version from the original developer) and version 1.4.3?
- Item Collection % is now displayed at the save selection screen (a highly requested feature)
- New uninteractable background creatures
- Some flying creatures have new sprites
- Color options for different types of game controllers. Select the controller you have (such as Xbox or european SNES style) and in the menus it will show the appropriate button color
- A New Game+ option has been added
- For the more dedicated Metroid fan an item randomizer mode has been created
- A layer of additional polish and some bug fixes & tweaks
- A new flying creature has been added to many areas of the game. If I remember Metroid 2 correctly, they were in that game but weren’t originally added to AM2R.
For those wanting to try the updated version (or try AM2R out for the first time) the best place to look these days is at the AM2R subreddit. The most common downloads are for the Windows platform, but I had no problem playing it on Linux through wine.
Update: The flying creature I have a picture of is called a Septogg. I was right that they were creatures featured in Metroid 2 but did not appear in earlier versions of AM2R.